Friday, March 26, 2010

Lookout




















I've been taking photos of this pair of eagles for years now (they are a regular feature atop the church at Princess and East Pender) and I've put off painting them because, well, eagles are almost too iconic to paint, but I think I captured them as menacing and judicial. Having a man-made object in the painting also helps: you pretty much only see representations of eagles in the Bateman mode, ie. flying or perched in the wild, or swooping down with talons extended ready to grab a fish. And it was during this painting that I realized how much more interesting I find birds when they're surrounded by non-natural materials.

I call this my "edgy piece" because I didn't refrain from painting the crap that's all over the cross. :)

12"x9", Acrylic on canvas, 2010

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look like they are watching a sporting event...

 
At 11:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I love your new paintings. the Eagles are great, and the crows are so natural looking. good work luv mom

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger kathrine said...

Wow, you can paint the crap outa birds y'know!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home